Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting server to backup server

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsevens

IS-IT--Management
Aug 11, 2000
US
My company has recently decided to switch to (groan) an Exchange server + Outlook. Prior to the switch all mail was handled by sendmail (8.9.3-20) on Linux, and now the Linux server (Milhouse) should act as a backup server.

I would like to set it up so that when a message reaches Milhouse it is forwarded on to the exchange server. We will soon have our MX records point to milhouse as a backup server, but what I need to do is configure those forwards. I know I could write a script to add a .forward file to each user's home directory, but I am looking for a more dynamic approach - hopefully something that doesn't require maintaining the user accounts if possible. Is there some sort of global .forward file that can forward all mail at milhouse to the same username in a slightly different domain?

Also, I'm going to be updating sendmail to the most recent version soon so if the solution works on both versions that would be extremely good. Thanks in advance for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back