Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Quark Docs into InDesign Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talibah1

Technical User
Jun 19, 2003
US
I am working on a file originally done in Quark 4. To convert it to InDesign, I saved it as a Quark 4 template and tried to open it in Indesign. The file conversion starts then suddenly the app. quits. Am I doing something wrong??

I don't know if this is the problem but you don't have to save the Quark document as a Template. Just open InDesign and go file...open and choose the document. It will open in ID. Just a small word of warning, we've found problems translating Quark documents that have runarounds on them. I would suggest removing them before translating the document. It causes problems creating pdf's and some font issues.

We've found that you need to ungroup everything in the quark document before trying to convert it to an InDesign document. Also, we've found that some, very few, of the quark files have corrupt elements in them, like color definitions, etc., that won't convert. Do a thumbnail drag in quark to create a new, uncorrupted document and then try to convert it, it should work.

I found that if ID got hung up opening a quark4 document, saving the Q document down to quark3 and then opening it in ID solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back