Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting pm6.5 (PC) for Printer(Mac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kunda

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
US
I keep having problems with fonts in my jobs that I send to a printer. They often cannot use my pc fonts on their macs. I usually find a way around it (with a lot of time and effort lost) I would love to hear from someone who can give me a good solution.
I usually convert my pm6.5 file to pdf .... Of course every printer is different and wants things their own way, but most use Macs
Tried save for service provider and still have the same prob.
I end up waiting to find out what fonts don't work and changing them which isn't really cool after proofs have been okayed.
Thanks,
Kunda

I've never had this problem, but I use a service bureau that works with both PCs and Mac platforms. Maybe you should check into a new printer.

Hi, Kunda,

> I usually convert my pm6.5 file to pdf

Sounds fine to me. What's their problem?

Iechyd da! John
23:02 14/04/03 BST

Kunda,

Are you getting font exceptions every time you print to a Mac printer?

Daniel

pc to pc - no problem
I usually only have problems when pc fonts don't work with a mac.
Is there a way to just print the job to a pdf so that fonts aren't an issue?????
Kunda

If you convert your PM file to a PDF, ensuring you embed all fonts AND subset to 100%, then a Mac printer should have no problem whatsoever with PC fonts.

Tnx Eggles but that is really where my problem started. If I turn my pm file into a pdf there are almost always fonts that due to manufacturer restrictions cannot be embedded. I've been going in circles with this issue for a long time and would really appreciate an answer but it evades me.
I cannot afford a really fancy font package Not sure that would help anyway...
Thanks to anyone who can steer me in the right direction!!!
Kunda

Hi Kunda,

First of all, fonts are the problem when using files crossplatform, mainly because of their naming. PC versions often have underscores and so on in their name, so they aren't understood by Mac version.

I personally have never encountered fonts you can't embed in a file. i know that some printers have problems with True Type versions. Often the fonts are flushed.

Any way using the two step option to create a pdf would do the job. Go for the option 'priint to file', I use the acrobat distiller ppd. On the options you will find the option 'Download fonts', I choose send True type and Type 1. Then open distiller change the options if you want to an create a pdf.

Fonts should be embedded now;

Hope this helps
grillhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back