Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Photoshop Files to InDesign

Status
Not open for further replies.

brvcamper

MIS
Jun 11, 2010
US
I have a 150 page Photoshop type layout for a calendar that I need to move into InDesign in order to make changes for next years. The person that did it last year used Photoshop and it would be much easier to take it into InDesign to edit the calender. I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THIS. Anybody have any ideas or answers? ? THANKS !

Hi

I don't think there is a way to do that.

I don't know of any file that Photoshop can make that will be editable in Indesign. I feel your pain, 150 pages is a lot of work.

If I had to do that I would probably place the Photoshop Pages and then construct the Indesign ones on a layer above.
Save a lot of measuring etc.

You can copy and paste the type itself from one aplication to the other but it won't retain it's style.
If you set styles for each usage in Indesign it should go pretty fast.

But I don't know of an easy way to do it.

Maybe someone else here has run into this before.

Mike

...the easiest way is to rebuild it in indesign from scratch...

...unfortunately "easy" doesn't always imply "quick"...

...photoshop is not really a page layout application designed for long document/multi page use...

andrew

============
============

...also want to point out that you can script a calendar in indesign using the javascript download:

...this may help ease the pain a bit, never used it myself but people do make use of it and has received good feedback, works up to CS4 indesign...

andrew

============
============

...do note the whole downloaded folder script (calendarWizard) can go in the:

[Indesign App folder] > Scripts > Scripts Panel

...in indesign choose "window > automation > scripts" to reveal the scripts panel, you should then see the folder listed in the "Application" section...

...the script produces a basic calendar to begin with, but this can with time be edited/repurposed...

...the script creates paragraph styles that you can edit as well...

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back