Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Paradox to a web-based application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have had a Paradox for Windows application running on a network for years very successfully. Now I want it to run off a web server. Paradox doesn’t have a web application so I need to convert it to something that does. Do anybody have any advice for me?

Lucky for you, you do have many options. However, the most important questions you have to ask yourself are why do you want it on the web? And what do you want to accomplish?

We all have a tendency to “fall in love” with things that have worked for many years. I would like to suggest that you take this opportunity to design your application, not just for what you want now, but also your future needs.

With that said, Pdox comes with a web server component. Depending on your needs, it may or may not work for you. I have played with it a little, I find it more trouble than its worth.

Once you have figured out what you want it to do for you, then, you can decide what tools are the most appropriate for the job.

You may want to check out sites that interests you.

Good Luck

Tom,

I have a similar problem. I need input from users at different sites. I have settled on Dreamweaver UltraDev 4 as a useful web development tool. The only difficulty I found was in what driver to use. Intersolv OEM 2.12 32-Bit ParadoxFile driver seems to be the right one.

If you decide to use UltraDev I would be interested to follow your progress.

Regards

Bystander

hmmm .. Have experienced this problem as well. In fact I went down the root of building a web application with Paradox Web Component but found it very inflexible to natural web problems like scalability. I am web developer at heart so I have had the option of several technologies ASP,PHP and ASP.NET stuff. Depending on how complex your application is I would suggest that you use ASP.NET if you have a very complex application and use different database other than paradox it was never really designed to work in this way I feel ? ;-( It is especailly difficult to use I found with Web Development better to choose PHP and Mysql if you do not want to go the Micros$ft but ASP.NET is really good for complex Web development. If though you just need simple form interaction with current running database then PD Webserver component should suffice or using ODBC drivers. If you need example of ODBC and ASP.NET for Paradox give me a shout as I have been working on that recently ;-) Good Luck keep us informed.

Along this same line I am trying to retrieve data from a paradox database for display on a web page. I am having trouble reading a value from a paradox field with ADO. I am using ASP with the ODBC driver and get a string of unreadable characters when reading from a field that should be a floating point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back