Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting .mpp file

Status
Not open for further replies.

komark

Technical User
Sep 12, 2005
US
Hi,
I need to figure out how to convert the .mpp file automatically into .xls. Does Project have a feature to do this in the server?

Hi
Have a look at this site.

There is a macro called "Export Hierarchy to Excel" which will accomplish what I think you're after. It will keep the indents too. Cut and paste can bring in other aspects of the mpp which you may require

Hope this helps

Komark: what are you trying to accomplish?

(In other words: your question has different answers depending on the additional information.)

Thanks this helps out a lot. But is there a something that would save that excel file onto the server?

PDQBach: I am trying to convert the project file into excel so that I can extract the excel file into our intranet. I want to do this all automatically using scripts or something else.

I should have been more explicit and asked specifically for the fields you wanted to extract.

On an ad hoc basis I frequently pull information by simply displaying the Summary and OutlineLevel columns along with any others that I want. Then I copy the whole bunch of columns and paste them into Excel. I do an Autofilter on Summary ("yes") and set the task names to bold. Then I do an Autofilter on the OutlineLevel column (for each of the values in that column) and indent the task names the appropriate number of times. Finally, I reformat the Date columns to whatever format seems appropriate. Manual? Yes. Easy? Very. Timeconsuming? a couple of minutes per project.

If you want to do this regularly then you could write an Excel VBA macro to load project and then move one-by-one through the files you've identified.

And having said all that ... as I should have said earlier: what columns of data do you want to extract from Project?

PDQBach:
Task Name, Resource Name,Start, Finish, Baseline1 & 2.

You may find cosmicchris's answer suitable for your needs.

You may find it useful to create your own map and then click File | Save As... and select the XLS output and your map. (Map creation is straightforward).

I thought you might want some actually useful information like the amount of work each week/month for each resource (of the several that you have assigned to a task) but apparently you don't.

There is an analysis toolbar available in later versions of MSProject; this toolbar gives the user some fancy export functions.

Additionally, if you're using Project Server, then there is an "Export Grid to Excel" function that is available in PWA (Project Web Access).

Which version of MSProject are you using? Are you using Project Server?

Good Luck!

Bill
----------
Got MSProject Questions?
Visit Real-Time Help for Microsoft Project
----------

Bill,
I want to do this automatically. I am using Project Server and MS Project 2003.

What will these MSExcel spreadsheets be used for?

If this is intended to provide people with the ability to view project information online, then why not create a custom project view in PWA which will display the required fields (Task Name, Resource Name,Start, Finish, Baseline1 & 2), then link to this PWA project view?

Inquiring minds will need to go onto your intranet to view the data regardless, so why not send them directly to the data... in web format? If they then want to have the data in MSExcel format for manipulation, printing, etc., then they can simply use the built-in MSExcel export function (requires MSOffice 2003).

Good Luck!

Bill
----------
Got MSProject Questions?
Visit Real-Time Help for Microsoft Project
----------

Bill,
Not everyone in our company has the license needed for PWA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back