Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Lists in Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

LewisReeder

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2005
US
I currently have an "employee type" column/list that contains the choices "FTE" & "Contractor" and an additional column/list that specifies the type of contractor as "long-term" or "project". I now need this all in 1 column/list. Is there a way to convert all this into 1 list without doing it manually? My new list should contain FTE, Long-Term, & Project (Contractor should be removed). Is there any way (macro?) to convert the 2 exisiting columns into 1 combined column automatically?

I am not sure if this is enough information but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lew

Can you just concatenate them?

Say your data is in columns A and B. Then in C2, just enter
[tab]=A2 & B2

If you want a comma and space between them, then it becomes
[tab]=A2 & ", " & B2

Copy the formula all the way down, then Copy'n'Paste Special > Values to replace the formulas with strings.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

If column A contains employee type and column B contains contractor type, then merge them in a third column using:
Code:
=IF(A2="Contractor",B2,A2)

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Somehow I read right over "Contractor should be removed" in the OP. Thanks for catching that, Glenn. [cheers]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Hi John,

I wondered why you'd ignored that bit. :-D

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back