Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Impromptu 6.0 to 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

donafran

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
US
Help!
Very Frustrating problem in converting Our Impromptu environment from V6.0 to V7.0.

We have installed all Series 7 software on a new server. We have copied the Impromptu Catalog (using Windows Explorer, Copy and Paste) through the network from a location on the V6 WINNT server to a location on the S7 WIN 2000 server.

On the S7 Server, we open S7 of Impromptu, Open the local copy of the catalog. It prompts us to Upgrade the catalog from V6 to S7. We say OK.

Go into Databases - the catalog is still attached to the PRODUCTION SQL 7.0 database across the network. This is fine. Go into Catalog\Tables., "Verify". Everything comes out OK.

If I now attempt to create a NEW report in S7 Impromptu, it works fine...all my folders and columns are there and I can choose them and they fill in the report fine. So, my belief is that my new catalog is OK.

I copy/paste (using Windows Explorer) my V6 Impromptu reports to a local location on the new server. Now I try to open an existing report. Get prompted because Impromptu cannot find the correct path for the production catalog. I say I want to browse for it, and point to the NEW upgraded Series 7 version of the catalog. Get prompted to Upgrade the report, and say OK, because that is what I want to do.

The report opens with an Impromptu Error Window displayed: "Query Execution Errors" for several (but not all) of the columns in the report. There are 2 messages for each field that has an error: "Data Item [\XXX]could not be found." followed by "Data Item {\XXX] is invalid because it contains additional invalid data items".

None of these fields are Calculations -- they are straight out of the data source (like ORDER TYPE).

If I go into Report/Query data tab, I can remove the old field name, find that field in the folders of the catalog, add it back in, change the Filter to use the new field, and the report runs fine.

I just do not think it should be necessary to go through this exercise for several fields in every report - if they are in the catalog, in the same place as they always were, and the tables verify OK, why would I still be having problems opening these reports under the new software version ? I did not plan time to delete/re-add/re-use half the fields in every report in the project plan for conversion.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

Donafran,

What is your database type,platform (O/S), and versions. I saw similar issues back in the 4 - 5 upgrade of Impromptu, and it had to do with the way Impromptu saw the datatypes on different RDBMS products between the two releases.

The prompt on the location for the catalog can be avoided by putting the catalog in either the same folder as the report (not usually desireable) or putting it in the folder designated as the catalog location default in the Impromptu.ini.

Dave G.

The Decision Support Group
Reporting Consulting with Cognos BI Tools
"Magic with Data"
[pc2]
Want good answers? Read FAQ401-2487 first!

Dave,
Our database is MS SQL Server 7.0. We have our production Impromptu V 6.0.613 on a WIN NT machine. Trying to upgrade objects to Impromptu v 7.0 which on a WIN 2000 machine.

Actually, the prompt for the catalog is not a problem at this point. Understanding why we are getting errors on columns that are in the catalog is the real issue.

Thanks for your help

A shot in the dark - try qualifiying the database fields more or less. Open the catalog, go to 'tables' on the menu, hit the 'qualification' tab, then experiment with making the database/table fields more or less qualified. Sometimes this worx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back