Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting from parallel dongle to serial

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingableinc

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2007
US
What's involved in converting from a parallel dongle to a serial. We have a 403. After upgrading to 2.53 to 3.2 55 we have had some various issues - mainly ironed out.

Occasionally for whatever reason it is, the system sees the licenses as invalid. The vmpro services are running, etc. We usually end restarting the services and also setting the system to reboot when it's free. This usually resolved the issue. It has been happening on a frequency of anywhere from every 3 days to possibly 1X a week.

I've decided to elimate the communications factor between vmpro box and IPO and plan on moving to the serial route.
How if possible - can I transfer my parallel licenses to the serial dongle ? Or do I need to go back to my IPO vendor for this.

You would need to go back to your vendor for this, as they will have access to the ADI site and the procedure for License Swap.

Question, has the license issue only popped up since the upgrade to 3.2(55)? to rule out PC issue, have you installed Dongle and License Key Server on another machine and tested. I would think the License key Server is installed on the VM Pro PC, is this directly attached to the IPO, or via Switches. ?

I also Trust you have statically entered the IP address of the License Key Server under the System TAB in manager.

In the early days this was a common issue with the early builds of License Server, that is Licenses going invalid however 1.0.0.5 has been stable and remained unchanged since the fixes in License Key Server.

ipo.gif

The 403DT/DS also does not direclty support Serial Dongle, as the 403 does not have a 9 pin serial port.
I seem to remember you could put a parallel dongle on the 403 base unit via an adapter.

There may have been a TB regarding this but we are talking a few years ago..

ipo.gif

It is not possible to use a parralel dongle directly on any IP Office but you can use a serial dongle on a 403 with a 9 to 24 pin cable.

NIHIL NOVI SUB SOLE

I will try your suggestion on moving the license key server to another box. It's set for the correct static under system and the issue really only cropped up since the upgrade.

Just came back from crawling around the racks. Not a single box has a parallel port. I have some older boxes with a parallel port but I would not prefer to have them running the licenses.

What causes the licenses to go invalid.
As per what I was told, if the IPO does not see the license server for a *milli-second*, it will drop the licenses and not continue looking for it. I am pretty confident on the network connectivity and don't suspect this is the issue however. If need be, I can put a log between the network connectivity between the IPO and the server running the license dongle, but I don't expect this to be the issue.

Any ideas or clues on remedying this just short of the serial-parallel license dongle swap which should take time.

The server should be connected straight on the ipoffice (without a switch)
if that is the case then give it a change again

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

IPO is currently on the same IP subnet as the rest of the LAN.

I would have to change the IP of the IPO 1st and then put the second NIC as the same IP subnet as the IPO.

I actually put a phone call in and awaiting callback. The person I spoke with just had one of the peers come back from training and they mentioned it the same exact issues I've been experiencing !

Pingableinc - you've lost me on that last post. Is license server currently on same subnet as IP Office? If so, you should be able to plug license server PC directly into IPOffice. If not, that **may** be part of the trouble...
Is VMPro server also running the license server? If not, it may be faster/cheaper to get an I/O expansion PCI card with parallel port for VMPro server. Simple is good.
Mike

License server is running on same box as vmpro which is on the same subnet as network.

The issue is weird cause when I plug the IPO directly into the PC itself and ping to the IPO, I cannot ping to it. Checked and confirmed NIC drivers are up to date.

Same setup - different PC. Plug IPO into another box and I can ping to the IPO static addresss.

Dunno what gives with box A, as it should be able to ping to the IPO when directly connected.

Tired & frustrated .....grrrrr.
Swapped cables and still can't ping to the IPO when I connect directly to the VMPRO/License Server Box.

What network speeds does the 403 like to be set at.
When I set the port to half duplex 100 or even full duplex 100, it WILL NOT connect on my cisco switch. I have the port set for AUTO and I can see the IPO connects at 100 half.

mforrence -

The VMPROSERVER is the same server running the License Server.

Same setup running 2.53 did not exhibit these issues.
Only coincidentally, after 3.2 did the invalid license issue crop up.

I may swap the NIC configuration tomorrow on the box running VMPRO/License Server and see how vice versa behaves (dual nic box).

IPO 403 is a 10/100 hub (not switch) hence it is half-duplex. If you can't ping IPO from VMPro/License server, there is definitely a problem. With dual NIC box you may have to set route statements on the PC to make it work properly.
Mike

What i don't understand is that you say"when i plug in the ipo in the vmserver"

you need to plug the vmserver straight into the ipo
the ipo has 8 lan ports on it
the firsat one is connected to a switch
the second one should go straight to the vmserver !!
don't do this via a switch !!!!!!!!

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

Intrigrant -

Just checking in

So a standard 9-25 pin serial adapter won't work ?
I have to hang a 9-25 serial modem cable off the 403 to the dongle ?

thx

IP Office DTE Port Signal " PC/Terminal
Adaptor"
25-Way 9-Way

2 3 Receive data 3
3 2 Transmit Data 2
4 7 RTS (Request To Send) 7
5 8 CTS (Clear To Send) 8
6 6 DSR (Data Set Ready) 6
7 5 Ground 5
8 1 DCD (Data Carrier Detect) 1
20 4 DTR (Data Terminal Ready) 4