Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting from Opt61 to Cicso

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyNed2

Technical User
Nov 1, 2005
US
Cisco won our proposal for a new phone system, so we're beginning the migration from an Option 61 and several Option 11s to a Cisco Call Manager system.

Need opinions from you, based on your years of experience, on two things:

Cicso tells me the business world is getting away from using 9 for an outside line to prevent accidental 911 calls. In your collective experience, true or not true?

They also thought I was nutty when I said industry standard for going to voicemail is pretty much 24 seconds, which represents 4 rings cycles of 2 sec on and 4 sec off. They looked at me funny and said the standard is 18 sec. I don't know how many rings of theirs that corresponds to because they cadence is different than 2 on and 4 off. Again, what's been your experience.

Maybe I should cross post to the Cicso forum and start watching that one as well. My partner and I are on a learning curve here.

Cisco is awantabee telephone system, maybe in the near future the will have caught up to the Avaya, Nortel features.
There are work arounds for the 911 problem in most switches, and there 18 seconds is only 3 rings, you would not believe how many times I have had to change the amount of rings to 4 or 5 because there alot of the times there is no way your going to catch it on 3 rings

OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS AND AVAYA

My wife has Cicso at work, and their phones ring with a normal cadence. We have a Cicso pilot setup right now, and it sounds like a fast cadence. Hopefully I can change it easily enough when we implement the full system. If 18 seconds is 3 rings, sounds like the standard 6 sec per ring cycle: 2 on , 4 off.

Cisco changed to a short cadence a few years ago when a big customer told them that they wanted their employees to answer calls by the third ring, since it forced the employee to be "ever responsive". It's just some anal managers way of "keeping control".

DocVic
Dedicated to Nortel Products till the end.
Need help? Call Me Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back