Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting From NW4 to Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

nQziteev

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2001
US
I converted a 20 user network from a Netware 4 server to Win2k server. When I removed the NW client from all the workstations, all the Win98 stations have trouble attaching to the domain, but the Win2k stations worked fine. I removed the client in networking, and am using only TCP-IP protocol. Stations receive DHCP info fine, but can not login. They get an error that a DC can not be located; or that the user/password is incorrect, even tho they are correct.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

We spit on you for migrating ;)

Are they picking up DNS ok? Can you ping the DC by name from a command prompt? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Have you set the client properties on the W98 pcs to log on to the domain?

If all of the Workstations are on the same Local LAN, than you can also install and configure NetBEUI. But before you do that, make sure that the DOMAIN info in the Properties of the Client for Microsoft Networks is configured correctly.

Good Luck.

Also, check the hosts and lmhost file on the users machines. Sometimes that added little boost helps, or the files could be pointing them in the wrong direction. "It is never too late to learn what is always necessary to know".
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC - 65AD); Roman philosopher and statesman.

Sorry I just have to post my two cents worth. But you have my condolences for installing an MS network in place of a Novell network. Guess there had to be a reason to create job security to install MS. That would of been my last choice.

Now that I am off my soap box. Did you re-install the MS client onto the workstations in which you removed the Novell client from? This should work unless the Novell client needs to be completely un-installed.

You may also want to verify the correct subnets/routing on your LAN. From what this sounds like its as if something is missing (Netbeui perhaps) <--- very shitty protocol but may do the job.

Mark C. Greenwood, CNE
m_jgreenwood@yahoo.com

CNE 4.11 and CNE 5 certified. BS Degree in MIS. Working in the industry for 8 years.

I work with NT servers, NDS for NT as well.

Are you running Active Directory. Try just re-insstalling the password on the server. Servers are just PC's on steroids, so sometimes they forget. I've found that if I re-created or even just change the password to the one the user is working, it starts working again. If not, just do the same thing in the local users and groups on the server. Good luck. I'm converting a 2 Novellnetwork, with 3 W2K servers to a strictly W2K network. Have had my fair share of fun also. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional

&quot;All things are difficult before they are easy.&quot;
Thomas Fuller (1608 - 1661) English scholar, preacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back