Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting From FAT To NTFS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMus

Technical User
Aug 23, 2000
US
I'm trying to share a folder on the hard drive but the option is not available. I think it's the FAT file system that is preventing this. Is there a way to convert a FAT file system to NTFS without losing any software already installed?

Thanks,

Rus

You can do this using Partition Magic or such a utility? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Also NT has a convert command.

E.g. from a command prompt, type
convert c: /fs:ntfs

Type 'help convert' for help

John

Well blow me, it has as well. Nice one John! -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Partition Magic allows you to convert file systems into FAT, FAT32, HPFS and NTFS from one another.

Heres a bit of info:

* FAT should be used on HDDs under 200mb
* HPFS should be used on HDDs ranging from 200mb-400mb
* FAT32 and NTFS should be used on all larger HDDs (FAT32 for 9x, NTFS for NT based)

Thats what I've read anyway and it seems right...(never dealt with HPFS so can't help anyone with that)

Rgds

Last post is a bit misleading - NT can only read/write FAT & NTFS (not FAT32 nor HPFS). FAT can be used up to its maximum partition size of 2GB (just get large cluster size) and NTFS can be used for any (can't remember its max - but quite high! - terabytes I think). Original post suggested FAT was preventing sharing of folder - shouldn't do - its just advanced security features which are not available with FAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back