Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting from copper to fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

hankdaphoneguy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2005
US
I have a resort with a remote (3500 ft) location, that we we want to take off of copper and put on fiber. The remote location has 110 extensions, and is tied into our pbx, is it possible to do this without adding a remote cabinet?

Transition Networks has several Media Converters that will take a copper T1 and covert it to fiber, ether Multi Mode or Single Mode Fiber; you will need one for each end of course. I have used several of their Products and they work fine.

thanks TDMtek, the only problem is that this is all analog lines, and 100 pair at that. So I am afraid that we will lose some of our features if we do this, if it can even be done. There is no remote shelf, so it really isn't looking feasible at this point.

not without channel banks and media converters.. both would cost out more then a fiber remote. you could add mini carrier remotes and reuse the copper for t1's or better turn glass into t's.. that would drop the cost.. mini carrier remotes price out less per station and you don't lose features.. we have a dozen or more remotes on this 81 and the user can't tell that they are not working out of the main site..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back