Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting from access 97 to access 2000 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredk

Technical User
Jul 26, 2001
US
Hi - I have a database used by about 8 people - Currently, everyone has access 97, the database was created in access 97. We are finally getting updated computers and my first user received her new computer, it has access 2000 -

I have the back end on a shared drive, I also have a copy of the front end for each user on the shared drive - I have debated installing the front end on their computer and for now, I prefer to leave the front end on the shared drive.

One of the users just got their new computer with access 2000 loaded - when they open my database they get the message that it was created with a previous version of access and asks them if they want to convert. My question is, can they convert only their front end and leave the rest of the database (including the back end) in 97?

If so, what do I need to do?

Any input would be much appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!!!

Fred

Hi

Yes the Access2000 FE can link to the Access97 backend

I assume that each user has their own copy of the FE on the shared drive, they will need to have otherwise, the A97 users will not be able to load the (converted) front end.

When faced with his problem in the past I have kept teh A97 as the 'Master' and done all maintenance on that, after each maintenancetask when making a new release just make an A2000 version from the A97 version, when you haev all users on A2K, you can ditch the A97 Fe and also convert the BE to A2K

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thanks Ken - I appreciate your help - now when the wizard asks you to convert, it asks for a location to store the file - I would save it back to the same shared drive? is that correct - just want to make sure!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Fred

Hi

Yes, provided as I said each user has their own version on the shared drive.

I cannot actually remember for sure it is a few months since I did this, but I do not think you can save it with the same name, which would mean overwriting the A97 version, so I usually did something obvious like call it MyDbA2k.mdb when original had been MyDb.mdb

Regards

Ken Reay

Outstanding - Thanks much for your help1!!!!!!

Fred

Question for Ken and Fred. I have done the same thing in the past (8 terminal installation) - but saw that database ran much more slowly if some A2k frontends were linked to an A97 _be. I documented this with timed events. Once all fe's and _be were in A2k speed went up significantly. Have you seen this?

Wow, good input - Since I am just going to do this now for the first time, I don't know - I will keep my eye on it though - I am sure Ken can help since he has the experience with this situation.

Fred

Hi

No I have not experienced speed problems with mixed A97/A2K setups. But I have experienced speed problems with A97 BE converted to A2K - following advise at Microsoft site fixed problems however

Regards

Ken Reay

Thank you ken you just cleared up a whole lot of questions for me. Have a star!

A Very Grateful
Neowynds

I too had issues with Access 97 mdb's running slower under Access 2000. Personally, I prefer to stick with Access 97, as I cannot stand the proliferation of taskbar items.
As well as compacting the Access 97 mdb before conversion, if there are macros or vba code modules, I would recommend that you research the use of the Access 97 /decompile switch to clean up any code contained in your applications. As well as a filesize reduction, there may also be a performance enhancement, and an improvement in behaviour where Access is used across a network. There is also an "undocumented" /decompile switch for Access 2000. I recommend you work on copies of of your mdbs and compare befores and afters in terms of performance and filesizes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back