Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting from 6.0 to 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmoore0001

Programmer
Dec 3, 2002
US
Well, remember a title next time, Frank!

Okay, guys, I am taking the the big swim and am upgrading from Visual 6.0 to 7.0. What do I need to be warned about? And, can I run both versions on my computer?

Frank

Not much, and yes.

The 7.0 compiler is a bit pickier and will find some things that were in fact syntax errors that 6.0 let slide.

The one that caught me a few times was leaving out the commas in a local or private variable list.

6.0 would allow

local a b c

7.0 requires

local a, b, c

Hi

can I run both versions on my computer?

I would suggest running only one of the versions (the latest on which you have compiled with appropriate service packs.

Weired error generation of runtime applications...and freezing noticed.. even when the compiled application on one service pack were run in another computer installed with differnt level of service packs (VFP6)

Based on that experience, I would suggest.. RUN the application on the same version and service pack as the compiled application.

However.. Data can be accessed by the 2 versions from 2 different computers (earlier installed and continuing the access on their existing installtions) will not have any problem.
:) ramani :)
(Subramanian.G),FoxAcc, ramani_g@yahoo.com
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year [bigears] [party] [2thumbsup]

Also be carefully VFP7 menu format doesnt run on VFP6
when you first open vfp6 menu on VFP7 you'll get question that "do you wantto convert menu vfp7 format"

HTH Soykan OZCELIK
Comp.Prog / MSFoxPro Programmer Developer

I've run VFP6SP5 & VFP7SP1 concurrently for quite some time now.
To convert back to VFP6 for menus just open up the menu file as a table and delete the last two fields.

VFP7 does not have the setup/distribution wizard from the past but comes with a "lite" version of installshield.

All programs compiled under 7 will still run in 6 unless you used any new commands.

For new development use 7, you'll never turn back... Michael Ouellette
mouellette@compuserve.com

VFP7 handles LEFT OUTER JOINS a little different to VFP6.

If you have a WHERE in a SELECT statement with a LEFT OUTER JOIN, referring to the right table, VFP6 will treat nulls different to VFP7. Therefore in VFP6, you may receive more records from your select statement, than in VFP7.

LouisP,
Can you give a simple example of this - I've not run into it yet.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back