Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Foxpro Tables to SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgunf25

Programmer
Jul 8, 2001
US
I have a very large applicaton using Free FoxPro tables. I would like to convert the data to SQL Server database and use my existing application to access the data.

I am using just every data function Foxpro has to offer.

Please help!!

Well, VFP has upsizing wizards which allow you to convert a FoxPro database to a SQL Server or Oracle database. This would be the easiest way to go, I'd think. But I think it requires you to add your free tables into a database before you start. Since they're going to be in an SQL Server database once upsized anyway, this shouldn't be a problem.

One thing you might want to do before you do the upsizing is to create the FoxPro database and convert access to it into local views rather than directly open and close the tables. Once you've done this and made it work, the updating will be easy. All you have to do is convert the local views into remote views and you're done. If you first convert the data into a SQL Server database and then make your program work with views, it may take longer to debug it.

Anyway, since views, local or remote have to be part of a database (although the tables they connect to don't), you're going to have to start working with one sooner or later.

If you haven't already done so, read all you can under 'upsizing' in the help files, and search here for threads on the topic.

Dave Dardinger

Thanks, for the input Dave. I also found a book called "Client-Server Applications with Visual Foxpro and SQL Server, by Chuck Urwiler, Gary Dewitt, Mike Levy and Leslie Koorhan, that looks promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back