Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

converting .dwg files to .pdf files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I am looking for a way to convert autocad .dwg file to .pdf files. I have found some software on the net, but I was curious if AutoDesk had a program or if anyone else had any suggestions.

using adobe acrobat is the only way i know of to do this. i dont think autodesk has a way to do it.

rob

If you have large size drawings (>B), I think that you need to use Acrobat Distiller. This comes bundled with one of the Acobat bundles.

hello,
I did just that.
I created a post script file using AutoCAD 2000, then converted it to pdf format using acrobat distiller. The pdf file looks really blurry, but the printout is immaculate...
Is there anything i can do to remedy the pdf appearance?

hello,
I did just that.
I created a post script file using AutoCAD 2000, then converted it to pdf format using acrobat distiller. The pdf file looks really blurry, but the printout is immaculate...
Is there anything i can do to remedy the pdf appearance?

email: g_gosine@hotmail.com

You will need to play with line weights in your CTB file - it took me a while to get suitable ones, and I ended up with different ones for A0, A1, A2, A3, A4 (or E,D,C,B,A if you're on the other side of the Atlantic).

This will make the onscreen pdf's better, and not change the printouts too much. Also it does depend on the version of the viewer you use.

I'll look out the version we use, but as far as I can remember it's the latest V4 (4.05 ??).

Nick
nick.hall@altasystems.co.uk

When I convert .dwg's to .pdf's, I use Adobe Illustrator.
What I do is convert all dwg's to dxf's, BUT before I do
that I have to explode everything in the drawing, otherwise
it wont take in hatches and other stuff, so explode the
dwg to its basic form as much as you can without effecting
the appearance. -DXFOUT- Then use Illustrator to import the dxf file
and it will be the same as the dwg. The only problem is that
if you have line weights they will be lost from the exploding.
So if you want, you have to change the line weights in Illustrator.
Once that is done you can then save the drawing as a .pdf
EXACTLY as it was in CAD. Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

I am also having trouble, I use ACAD 14 and export to an eps file(I have checked to be sure all the info is there by importing it back into ACAD) , then convert it with distiller and voila! I have a weird partial drawing. What am I doing wrong. Sometimes it is some of the file sometimes it is none of the file. which settings am I missing?????????????

Thanks for your help

dgaylord I think what you have to do is explode the drawing
to its basic elements, I think you will find that the hatches
of the drawing will give you most trouble...try them first. Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

I've also had the same problem. Here's what I do:

I open the DWG file in Illustrator 9 (I don't have AutoCAD not know how to use it anyway) and save it as PDF!

Acad2002 has the option of saving files in a new format
called .xml which can be read by nearly every program,
including Notepad!!! it saves the drawing as a human readable
form that will allow applications to import it easier....
also try the .dws format, which is going to replace the .dwf
type of file. The difference is little, but one you will notice
is the resolution. Much better, especially for
web viewing... Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."

~KeyTech

There is a free software package called Win2PDF. There is a website reference to this in the AutoCAD forum on the Eng-Tips site. It functions like a print driver and the price is right.

Hello creeves,

The website below offer Free software that you need

which is known Ottopdf also available Ottotif which convert drg to tif

I will much appreciate if someone know a software which convert Raster IMAGE INTO VECTOR ONE

THANKS
MARIO

OttoPDF is a good product for one-off production of PDFs.

However the last version I looked at could not be used in batch mode, or from a script.

Nick

Can I convert regular (jpg, gif, etc.) images to vector images using Illustrator 9? If not, what do I need to perform this conversion?

Hi guys,

My field is predominantly Adobe Acrobat, PDF Files etc. One of the things I'm developing is electronic O&M Manuals for Clients/Planning Supervisors for building projects.

My problem is the batch creation of CAD files, ie, DWG, DXF etc into PDF's... For a few it's no problem for Distiller but for say a set of 100+ As Builts from the Architect/Engineer it becomes unweildy and tiresome... Any information for batch printing of PDF's would be appreciated, ie. not having to give each drawing a file name etc so I could leave it running through the night if necessary...

Thanks in advance,

Jus

Do you have a copy of AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT ?

If so you can write a script to create either PDF files using a Distiller printer, or Postscript files using AutoCAD, which can then be converted to PDF using Distiller.

If you do not have either of these, you could download Voloview Express (free) from That supports /p to print. If you set your default printer to Distiller, you could write a batch file to do the printing for you.

If you let me know what software you have I could advise more.

Another thing, do you require all the output fitted to the same size sheet, or to different paper sizes for different sheets as they are drawn? If the latter, you will probably need AutoCAD to get the correct sizes.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your reply, most helpful - I'll have to investigate the batch file option further...

I'm using the freeware Voloview Express and have in the past had great results in converting from CAD files to PDF's.

Yes, the files are all required at one size of paper.

Thanks very much.

Jus

Hi Jus

The batch file should be pretty simple - something like:

for %%f in (*.dwg) do "path to vve exe" %%f /p

will print all the files in one directory

You can set your default printer to Distiller, set the default paper size etc, and you should be able to leave it running while you do something more interesting.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back