Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting an access 2010 app from runtime back to design mode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisNome

IS-IT--Management
Mar 22, 2011
US
Hi everyone

I used the package solution wizard to convert an access 2010 .accdb file into an .accdr file. A lot of data was changed in the runtime app and now I want to modify the design of the database without losing that data, so I need to convert it back to an accdb file. Any clue on how to do this? If I try to open the file in access 2010 it tells me it's only configured for runtime and to modify the design I have to simply rename the file extension to .accdb. If I do this, however, it still says it's an access runtime application and i get the same message..

Thx

CN

I found a solution for anyone in the future with the same problem. Just renaming the .accdr file in windows will yeild a .accdb.accdr file. Renaming from a command prompt allows you to change the extension.

This is good if you want to be able to modify the database design, but if you don't want anyone to do it additional security precautions should probably be taken. Packaging it alone doesn't fully protect the design.

if you want to fully protect the design, use an MDE or ACCDE file - this removes VB source code, form/report design etc. You need to keep the original though to make changes then recreate the MDE/ACCDE.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back