Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting Access 97 to xp, Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbirdofthesouth

Programmer
Jul 18, 2002
CA
I have many small but vital apps that have been created in Access 97 and need to convert to xp. Some run okay but others are generating errors related to things like old DAO files. When I try to open them in xp I cannot access the references in the Visual Basic Editor to update the libraries (it is grayed out). I get an error message saying that this file cannot be saved or updated because it was created in an older version of Access when I open it in xp. If I open the same file in 97, of course it works fine and I can save it or update it but the references are not available to me to update as they are just plain not available in 97 (too old). Any ideas?
When I open any databases (without funtional objects like forms) in another version of access they all run fine so it is obviously a code related problem and I know what needs to be fixed I just don't know how to get at it.

One, unfortunately rather painful, solution.
Export all your modules to text files. Clear them from the database. Convert the db. Set the DAO library. Import all your modules.
An alternative -
Create a new db in XP. Make sure the DAO library is set. Import your old db piece by painful piece.
Sorry, best I can come up with at the moment. Raymondo
raymondo@rossar.net

Thanks for the input.
I have more or less resolved the DAO problem by copying the newer DAO files to the older version of Access and referencing them.
However when I try to convert using the access utilities I still get errors generated about a missing ActiveX library. I have copied it in the same way as I did with the DAO libraries but this didn't work as well this time.
Also, when I try to convert I get the error message that the db has not been saved in compiled form. Well I compiled and saved all modules, what else could I compile?
All suggestions gratefully recieved!

The only real question is does the converted db, once compiled, work the way you want it to?
If yes, there's no more to do! Raymondo
raymondo@rossar.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back