Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting a number to a certain format

Status
Not open for further replies.

wally2321

Technical User
May 30, 2001
US
I have not used MS Access in a while and I have forgotten a lot of the technical detail. I am currently creating a query using the design function of Access. The query is a "MAKE" query so a new table will be made after running the query.

In the source table I have a field value such as the following:

I need the query to run and create the table with this field but in the following format:

Can someone please direct me on how I can do this? Please keep in mind that I am using the design feature of query.

Thanks for your time!

Is the format always 9 characters??? And you want to pad the front of the amount with zeros??? And the return value is a string with the amount to the right and padded zeros to the left??? If this is correct, shoot me an email to my address below and I will send you a sample database with this set up for you..... The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - Albert Einstein [spin]

Robert L. Johnson III, A+, Network+, MCP
Access Developer/Programmer
robert.l.johnson.iii@citigroup.com

just set the format of the field to the # of 'characters' you want to have, as "000000000" (for nine characters wide). This works for the numeric fields.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back