Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Converting a formula field into numerical format field

Status
Not open for further replies.

pancho13

Technical User
Apr 22, 2003
AU
Hello there Gurus of the Crystal World

I've got this challenge for you people:
I've created a formula field based on another field;
the formula field is a "Select/case formula" where I lookup onto a gl field and I've assigned a $value according with the gl field.

What I would like to do is once I've got the result I need to do a sum from this formula with the running total of that gl field...eg 'gl-field' + 'formula($value)'

I've got an error saying that is not a numerical field...

Please help....I've tried "tonumber('formula-$111.11')" but still comes up with an error

HELP!!!

If you are using a $ sign in your assignment, you are using a currency field. If you are using a variable for your running total, you will need to declare it as a currency.

-LB

This is what I've got....

formula:mad:budget(string)
select GroupName ({@gls})
case "55210BLK700" : " $21,000.00"
case "51820BLK700" : " $46,500.00"

group running total:Sum ({poline.linecost}, {@gls})(number)

What I need to do is this

@budget(string) - Sum ({poline.linecost}, {@gls})(number)

????? any idea

When you said you tried to implement ToNumber in your initial post, you don't apply it to the full expression, as shown in your post. It's ToNumber({@budget}) - Sum({etc...})

Naith

You could also define {@budget} as a number by changing the case results to remove the "", as in:

select GroupName ({@gls})
case "55210BLK700" : $21,000.00
case "51820BLK700" : $46,500.00

-LB

BINGO!!!

THANKS lbass , YOU NAIL IT

CHEERS FROM AUSSIE LAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back