Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Word Docs to PDF files and Acrobat/Adobe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kativs

Technical User
Sep 19, 2008
US
Okay...I've been reading things for hours and nothing helps. I've downloaded Adobe Reader 9, Acrobat.com and Adobe Air...you name it.
Basically I want to convert some Word docs to PDF format, however when trying to "save as" there is no file extention .pdf to save it to. Next I tried "open with" and finding acrobat/adobe but I keep getting errors that I can't do this.
I was working with the Adobe Air and it seems pretty cool but I don't want to have to share over the internet....For Goodness Sakes...I just want to convert my files to PDF's and keep them on our shared drive.
Why do they make things soooo difficult???
Any Adobe for Dummies "English speaking" people out there to help me out?
I certainly appreciate it.

In any Word version prior to 2007 there won't be a "save as .pdf file extenstion option in the "Save as..." drop down.

If you have the full version (not just the reader) of Adobe Acrobat installed then, with the file closed, you should be able to right click on the file name (use Windows Explorer to find the file) and select "Convert to Adobe PDF".

Installing the full version of Adobe Acrobat may also give you a Adobe PDF toolbar in Word. It does in Word 2003.

If you're using Word 2007 then you can "Save as" PDF from within Word but you need to install the Word 2007 add on from Microsoft.

Cheers.

Go to and upload your word file and convert to .pdf

You'll get a link to download the pdf from

There are a variety of other methods to do straight from word

like CutePDF
or this

or this

Just be aware that just because you make a PDF from word that the PDF itself is good quality for commercial printers. Be aware that any images inside a word document are likely to be a lower quality and in RGB (where commercial presses need CMYK).

But as far as distributing a document across the web or email, then yes, a PDF will be ok using these methods.

Cmeagan:
I have Adobe Reader 9, a folder called Adobe Reader 9 installer, and Acrobat.com, however I can't use the acrobat.com as I uninstalled the Adobe Air. The Air was cool as I said but that appears to be using it online only and with limited use (beta?).
How do I know if I have the full version of Adobe Acrobat (without purchasing anything more?

Eugene:
Are those sites safe to use? I basically just want to protect documents that I send in emails, such as quotes so I figured on using pdf's. Otherwise pdf's don't mean anything to me.
Thanks to you both.

Oh and I also have that ghost scripts thing.

Also, that word to pdf listing you mention....it's only a demo??

I think the word to pdf (Universal doc converter) is really neat but the demo has a watermark that appears on docs unless you purchase. I'd like to try to get a free download if possible.

ANOTHER UPDATE... Cutepdf seems the greatest. I tested it and seems to work well.
THANKS A MILLION !!

ONE MORE THING....I cannot edit the status of the PDF's as far as security. It is grayed out and says "Not Secure". Any suggestions??
Thanks again.

Katvis said:
How do I know if I have the full version of Adobe Acrobat (without purchasing anything more?

Go Start ->All Programs ->Adobe and see if there is some flavour of Adobe Acrobat listed.

Cheers.

Just an update....I tested the cutepdf files I've been working with and they seem to be secure enough, in that we cannot edit them. So I think we're safe with CutePdf's.
Thanks for all your help. :)

Warning - without using security of some sort, your PDF is NOT secure. Anyone with a copy of Acrobat can edit that PDF file if they know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back