Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert WAV to MIDI file - it's not music 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

witchblade

Programmer
Aug 1, 2001
US
Has anyone been able to convert a wav file to a midi file that is not music? Is it even possible?
I have a car revving wav file and wanted to convert it to a midi for cell phone use, but I'm not having any luck.
[gorgeous]

I haven't worked with midi in a while, but from what I can remember, it only stores basic note information, which then refers to an actual sound. Most midi devices come with built in banks of pre-recorded sounds, which is what the midi file refers to, but if you want to use your own, your device will have to have the capability to store the wav file, and then create a new sound bank that midi files can refer to. I haven't heard of it being done on a cell phone though - maybe it can record normal audio instead?

You are out of luck. There is software that can convert wav files to midi but it is not cheap and it won't do what you want here. This software basically interprets music in the wave file as well as OCR scans text in documents. It is not pretty and will not work on a sound effect, just a melody. Keep in mind that MIDI files are essentially a player piano roll or cylinder in a music box.

MIDI generates musical instruments sounds based on voices. For example: voice 1 is a piano, voice 2 is a grand piano, voice 3 is an electric piano, etc. This range of voices may be limited on a cell phone. I have never heard of a default MIDI voice as being that of an engine.

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back