Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convert text to number in query

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimpal

Technical User
Oct 16, 2012
US
I am importing a tab delimited file saved from an SAP BI report.
Since I must leave the revenue and cost fields as text in order to import (they come with 'USD' at the end)
I need to convert these values from text to numbers while in the temp table and before I append to the final import table.

I am importing the data into tblTempImport.
I created this query calledl 'qryRemoveUSD'

[UPDATE tblTempImport SET tblTempImport.Revenue = Left([revenue],(Len([revenue])-4));]

its pretty simple yet when I run it I get this error:
Microsoft Access didn't update 2617 field(s) due to type conversion failure, ...........

Why would removing the 4 most right characters of a field create a conversion error ?

Please help.

Removing characters doesn't convert a string into a number. Try:

SQL:
UPDATE tblTempImport SET Revenue = Val([revenue]);

This should work as long as there are no letters to the left of the numbers.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thank you Duane! This worked however I also was able to find out how to remove the USD from the SAP Business Warehouse report which I will say here for anyone else looking fof this info: Righth-click on BW report data, properties and check the box for "Display scaling factors for key figures". This moves the USD to the column header.

Now I have one more problem - there are some fields which for some reason are converting to tab delimeted file with quotes around them and these are showing as blank in the database. How can I remove these quotes and still import directly into a table with field as long integer?

I hate that SAP does that. I typically import into a temporary table and then append/update my production tables. I have several solutions where I open the SAP report in Excel and then have code that pushes the data to SQL Server tables.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Yes, I have determined that it is happening on the rows where a blank appears in a column before the revenue column and SAP/BW puts a pound (#) sign. I think this is causing the quotes. Any idea how to suppress the pound sign ? If not I will have to go the temp table route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back