Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Text to Curves or Paths 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindeye

Technical User
Mar 12, 2002
US
I have a linked EPS. When I try to unlink it...the fonts are all changed based on what I have on this computer. Is there any way to convert the existing text to curves without rasterizing? My ultimate objective is to send it out for printing. I have a PC. I am going to send it to a Mac. I don't see a means of converting this file to an EPS for Mac. Please help...

Gonna need more info to be sure but if you're talking about illustrator, select all your text and hit ctrl+shift+o. Also you can save it as a .pdf with all the font inclusion checked and see what happens on the mac side. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

I think you are right about the PDF thing. It was a file created on another computer and the text was apparently not embedded. The file was working as a liked file in AI. When I tried to bring it into AI it assumed I want to edit it and it tries to convert the text to fonts resident on this computer. I didn't want that. I wanted to do what you can do in Coreldraw and convert the text to curves where the AI would look at the text as an image not text. Thanks, I think the PDF approach is the quickest.

The only differnce between Corel and AI as far as converting text to curves is that in AI you have to convert before going into the save as dialoge, where as Corel will let you do it both in the app and the eps export dialoge. They both would convert to the same curve all be it AI's would be cleaner. That is unless your talking about some convert to curves option you get when importing into Corel which I dont know about. Sometimes there is an exact duplicate font that is just named diffently on the PC side. If you list the fonts in question perhaps I can give you a list of equivelents. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

I am not having any problems looking at the file as it was created on a PC. The only thing I notice is that in Freehand for PC and AI for PC they bring the file in as embedded. You are right Corel is not as clean.

I sent the file out to have it Published and the person with the Mac is having trouble opening the EPS. I don't exactly know what kind of trouble, but I can only expect that she is trying to bring it in as a vector image instead of an embedded EPS. I don't know on the Mac side what the problem is with bringing in an embedded EPS.

I don't know that much about Macs.

Embedded EPS is sort of a sentence fragment. Embedded means that one file format is saved into that of another. ie. If you embed an .eps into an .ai document so you would refer to it as an Illustrator file with an embedded .eps. I guess I just need more info. What app is the mac person opening the file in? If he/she is trying to place it in quark or something that would explain the error since that is known as double embedding, or nesting which is a no no. They should be able to open your .eps file (or what ever format you sent them) if they open it in the same version or later of the same app. EPS's can contain vector data, raster, or both and if you have font switching going then you most likely have a vector EPS in which case it would probably be OK to open that file separately, copy all the contents out and paste them into your print file, then no linking or embedding is needed. If thats not the case, try opening the linked file in photoshop to see if maybe it had some weird text layers left over, although to my knowledge and .eps saved out of photoshop outlines all its fonts and would import as vectors anywhere else. One sure fire fix is have the person who supplied you with the link file resave it on their comp with the fonts outlined. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

I am using QuarkXpress 4.0 on the mac. I am ready to send my document to the printers but they don't have my fonts. Do I need to embed fonts and if so how? I can't find the option anywhere.

You have either print to a PDF file or send the actual font files on disk along with the file. Try a collect for output in the file menu.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back