Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert single SATA drive to RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

BogusBill

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2000
US
Is there a way to convert a single SATA boot disk to RAID 0 without reinstalling XP? I plan to add a second 160MB SATA drive to my ASUS A7V600-X, then stripe the two and use them as the boot drive.

My current idea is to try Ghosting the original drive to a third drive, setting up the array, then Ghosting the drive image back onto the RAID. That is, if I can shrink my boot disk down small enough to fit on the smaller third drive.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Bogus Bill Rigdon
bogusbill@mindless.com

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government.
It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury.
-- Alexander Tyler.

Your idea sounds good, but you want to be sure that Ghost will be able to see and access your RAID array once it's created, otherwise you may be stuck with an image that can't be restored.

Perhaps someone with experience in both Ghost (I use Acronis True Image) and SATA RAID (I don't own a SATA drive, much less two of them ;-) ) can comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back