Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convert rectangle/shape to line segment

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffonwing

Technical User
Mar 7, 2009
US
I am creating some architectural draft elevations (window and door elevations, cabinet elevations, etc). In order to save time, I created most of them using rectangles, and for the most part, it works fine.

However, I have come across a few mistakes in judgement. 1) there's no way (to my knowledge) of assigning a different line width to one side of a shape. It's ALL 3 pt thickness or NONE at all. 2) Reshaping rectangles so that to rectangles join together so I don't have a line segment between them. I tried selecting 2 adjacent rectangles and joining them together to form a 6-sided shape, and it gave errors that it needed open endpoints.

So, If I can find a way to select al of the rectangle shapes, and convert those to line segments, it will make my life MUCH easier, and allow me to give a thickness to which ever line needs it.

Please tell me that this is possible, for I'd hate to have to start a new layer, and recreate all of these elevations one line and a time.

gw

>>> there's no way (to my knowledge) of assigning a different line width to one side of a shape

...correct, although you can select a side with direct select tool (white arrow), cut (command + x) and then paste in front (command + f), then change projecting gap in the stroke palette, to make it look as though it is joined, the lines need to be the same weight though, otherwise you need to manually adjust to get them looking as though they are joined...

>>> Reshaping rectangles so that to rectangles join together so I don't have a line segment between them.

...combining shapes can be done using the pathfinder palette, "add to shape area" button (hold the alt/option key to expand automatically, or press the expand button afterwards), your rectangles need to be touching or overlapping...

...then use the direct select tool (white arrow), click on a side, cut and paste in front, change the line weight...

Andrew

You could also use the Scissors Tool- click on all the anchor points, and that should break up the rectangles into line segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back