Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Paradox 7 Dat file to DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dove2

Programmer
Dec 4, 2008
I have a Paradox version 7 dat file that I need to convert to Access or to a db file. Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Never heard of a 'dat' file for Paradox.

What is its actual name?

NOTE: Paradox 'tables' of information end with .db extension.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time; we have the rest of our lives. It's about priorities.

I have never seen a .dat file. It's not a database. Could it perhaps be a Corel (Word Perfect) .dat file, which might have been exported from Paradox? In that case you can convert it within WP. (I haven't done it for a while, but there's a built in script or macro - just check help.)

Or try this. Word Perfect help is as usual not all that helpful. It is possible that WP 10 no longer uses the .dat extension. Try to open the file in Word Perfect and copy it all. Try pasting that into an Excel sheet (or the Corel equivalent..I forget what it is). Then export it from there to ascii.
That now working, try downloading Windows converter packs (all) from MS and opening it in Excell and/or Access and/or Word. I suspect that one or the other would work. Again from there you export to Ascii and move on. You won't get object files, but then I don't think there are any in dat files.
If you do not have WP or if WP10 doesn't recognize the file, you can get a legacy copy for very little money. I would not hesitate to go for wp7 or 8 as oem. I suspect it wouldn't cost you more than $15 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back