Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert non RAID to RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxfuk

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2000
GB
We have a PowerEdge 2600 with only one disk, we want to add the PERC 4 RAID module and another identicle disk and set it up so its mirrored. Has anyone done this without having to rebuild the server? Is there a way of doing this without comprimising the data?
Thanks
Max

From what I understand you will not be able to do this. You can migrate from RAID 1 to RAID 5 on a PERC controller but once you go from a SCSI controller to a PERC you will have to do a complete rebuils from scratch.

Hi,

In my case i had the same problem, migrate from non RAID to RAID in windows 2003 server and DELL POwerEdge 1800 and i made the following procedure:
1 - Keep the hard disk in the non raid controller and install the raid controller borad in the server.
2 - Boot the windows 2003 server. windows will find the new controller (with no disk at this time), and will install all needed drivers for this new RAID controller.
3 - After windows make all drivers installation i had made a image file using Norton Ghost 2003 (boot with norton Ghost disk and burn a set of DVDs with the hard drive image file.
4 - Install the new disks in the raid controller and create the arrays and initialize it.
5 - Using the Norton Ghost image file, restore thte image in the new array created in the RAID controller.
6 - Start windows and new hardware will be installed and windows will ask for a reboot.
7 - New RAID system is installed and operational.

Please note that this procedure work for me with no problems, and still working without any problems.

Sorry for my poor English, i am from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and i am posting this information just to help you and other in sharing information,

Best Regards for all
Marcos Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back