Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Mirror to Raid5 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crash34

IS-IT--Management
Apr 15, 2004
CA
We have a Dell 1750 with 2 - 20gb drives using Raid Level 1 or mirrored. We now have no more disk space and the boss bought 2 more 20gb drives. ??? not sure what he was thinking. He suggests I change our Raid from 1 to 5 with one of the drives(The server has 3 bays, 2 used), by inserting the 3rd and reconfiguring. I don't think this is possible without a complete backup, setup, network restore, pray. I was thinking instead of purchasing 2-80gb drives, swap out one 20 for one 80 first. Re-mirror. Once complete, swap out remainding drive with other 80gb. Re mirror and then done. Resize the partitions to desired size with room to grow. Anyone have any suggestions on which method to go with this one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back