Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

convert mdb files to exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

acymlf

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
MY
Is there a program which is able to convert Access mdb files to exe file?

If not what is the best way to make a mdb file execute without needing to launch MS Access 2000.

Thanks.

The Developer Edition of Office97 will do this for Access 97. I don't know about 2k.

Really??

As fas as I know, Microsoft Access will never ever able to do that (.exe file).

Nope, not really. Developer edition will allow you to create a run-time. This is similar to an EXE but doesn't stand alone and requires a run-time version of Access to be installed.

Craig

The ODE(2K) tools will let you take an .mdb or .mde and distribute it in runtime. On installation, it will detect the presence or absence of Access2000 and, if needed, install the runtime. (One advantage of the .mde over the .mdb is that it is not as susceptible to end-users making changes, and the source code is stripped out.)

A few caveats:
-ODE isn't cheap
-Runtime is less forgiving than .mdb (requires exacting error trapping/handling, etc.)
-Distribution includes some IE5 functionality and a very small .mdb (i.e. 1meg) can easily exceed 150meg on a runtime distribution package
-A bunch of other stuff

Regards....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back