Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert MBR to GPT problems how to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve288

Technical User
May 27, 2008
CA
I want to convert and existing windows 10 to GPT so I can use uefi bios

I tried using mbr2gpt /validate then mbr2gpt /convert but failed I want to try again.
However i contacted my backup company because I was having problems restoring back to original to try again, and they gave me this advice.

---- snip ---
The OS will get unbootable unless you convert the disk back to the partition scheme the OS was installed on.

This happens because OS was installed with that specific partition layout in mind, and boot process is different for these two partition schemes.

If you need to change Windows disk partition style, best approach will be to copy/back up your important data elsewhere, and reinstall Windows from scratch, on newly-partitioned disk.

You can also use the following workaround:

1 Create a backup of Whole Disk (C: and other partitions, if needed)
2 Convert the disk to GPT, destroying all partitions
3 Boot Windows installation in uEFI mode, and allow it to create the required partitions
4 Restore C: partition from the backup over freshly-installed Windows C: partition, and other partitions (if needed), separately
5 Perform fixup procedures from Recovery Partition if needed.
--- end --

However Im confused, I thought that the mbr2gpt was to do exactly what I need, I have mbr and want to convert it to GPT. It seems many people have done this and it works.
while t here may be better ways, am I wrong that using mbr2gpt takes into consideration that you have mbr.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back