Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHibou

Technical User
Jun 12, 2013
Hello,

I currently have this script :

Code:
awk 'BEGIN{OFS=",";} {print substr($4,2)}' my.log > log.txt

I simplified it since it would normally be :
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{OFS=",";} {print substr($4,2),$1,$6,$8}' my.log > log.txt

I would like to be able to convert an ip (the $4 field) 192.168.1.1 to its decimal counterpart.

So, i shoud do something around substr($4,2) since it it the column i am interested in.

Could someone tell me how to do so ?

Thanks,

Hi

LeHibou said:
I would like to be able to convert an ip (the $4 field) 192.168.1.1 to its decimal counterpart.
Write a function to do the conversion then use it ?
Code:
[COLOR=darkgoldenrod]function ip2dec[/color][teal]([/teal]ip[teal])[/teal]
[teal]{[/teal]
  [b]split[/b][teal]([/teal][navy]$1[/navy][teal],[/teal]n[teal],[/teal][fuchsia]/\./[/fuchsia][teal])[/teal]
  [navy]d[/navy][teal]=[/teal][purple]0[/purple]
  [b]for[/b] [teal]([/teal][navy]i[/navy][teal]=[/teal][purple]1[/purple][teal];[/teal]i[teal]<=[/teal][purple]4[/purple][teal];[/teal]i[teal]++)[/teal] d[teal]+=[/teal]n[teal][[/teal]i[teal]]*[/teal][purple]256[/purple][teal]**([/teal][purple]4[/purple]-i[teal])[/teal]
  [b]return[/b] d
[teal]}[/teal]
Note that the above function works well in [tt]gawk[/tt] but not in [tt]mawk[/tt].

Feherke.
feherke.github.io

Many thanks,

totally missed the -f option to put the function file to launch :)

You rock !

LeHibou

Hi

Oops, a bug. Intended to process the function's parameter, not the input field :
Code:
[b]split[/b][teal]([/teal][highlight]ip[/highlight][teal],[/teal]n[teal],[/teal][fuchsia]/\./[/fuchsia][teal])[/teal]

Feherke.
feherke.github.io

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back