Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Hexadecimals?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojan800

Programmer
Nov 27, 2001
US
I have completely forgotten how to convert hexadecimals and while this question isn't directly related to DNS (it is a MAC address), I figured someone here might still be able to help me. It relates to an issue I am having with my VMWare machine. So on to my question...

ethernet[n].address = 00:50:56:XX:YY:ZZ

In this line, XX must be a valid hexadecimal number between 00h and 3Fh, and YY and ZZ must be valid hexadecimal numbers between 00h and FFh.

Could someone please, at the very least, give me a couple of examples that would work here. Thanks so much for any and all help in advance.
-Rory

By the way, I don't remember how to use the scientific calc on windows either.

Counting in decimal: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 etc

Counting in Hex: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,1A,1B,1C,1D,1E,1F,20,21 etc

Leave it to me to be lazy, but the windows calculator will convert for you in scientific mode.........

OP said they don't remember how to use the scientific calc on Windows. Of course, there's always Help:

To convert a value to another number system
On the View menu, click Scientific.
Type the number you want to convert.
Click the number system you want to convert to.
Click the display size you want to use.
Notes

When you convert a decimal number that contains decimal places to another number system, the number is shortened to an integer.
Numbers converted to decimal from hexadecimal, octal, or binary appear as positive integers.

Thanks for the help guys. Serbtastic, you get a star!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back