Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert from Raster to Vector

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefcreativeguy

Technical User
Jun 12, 2002
US
I am trying to figure out how one would import a raster image from Photoshop into Illustrator and convert it to a vector-based image - without the use of Streamline, or other outside app.

Any help on this is enormously appreciated!

i think that would be difficult. as far as i know there's no way to do so exept for the obvious way of tracing the image. (correct me if i'm wrong)you might wanna try to do this with macromedia flash, using the trace bitmap function.

hope this helps.

htpp://

Illustrator also has a "trace" funcion on the toolbar. It is hidden behind another function by default. It isn't very good, though.

Hmmm, it was my understanding that there was a function of Illustrator that allowed you to perform this conversion without tracing or the use of Streamline.

No dice?

Good question - IME, I haven't found such a utility that is native in AI. I just ourchased Streamline to help - but its a whole new can of worms, I'm discovering. Also - I agree that the autotrace in AI isn't all that great. (BTW, that function is hidden behind the blen button on AI9)

What kind of image are you importing? I could be way off here - but can not you save an image as a .tiff in PS, then place it in AI and it's a vector image??? well - now that i think of that - it wouldn't really clean your pic up any (as i'm assuming that's why you want to get away from the raster image).

Knowledge enormous makes a God of me.

It's easy to convert a vector image into raster but the other direction is alot rougher. If you think about, a trace program has to scan the image, recognize color, and then recognize where it stops and another starts. And if theres a few blended colors inbetween, which area of color should it average it to? And it has to do this for every pixel. It's really pretty amazing streamline can do what it does. The method Ive found is suppling streamline with black and white tifs only. If its a piece of clip art for instance, scan it in at camera ready resolution, try and select and delete all color areas leaving only a black outline. Convert to greyscale and further tweek it with curves or levels. Try and get the closest thing to black and white with no grey area as possible without losing too much detail. Now have streamline trace it (version 4 is way better than 3) and refill the shapes with color in illustrator. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

I haven't had any problems with the trace bitmap function in Macromedia Flash. It works great. It does however create a completely different style of imagery aesthetically, as vector usually does.

the trace bitmap function does work to an extent but for the most part is way too node heavy. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back