Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert existing LD T1s to PRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxman

MIS
May 10, 2001
US
Hi guys - I'm running a G3si and AT&T is consolidating our PRIs and T1s to all digital. We currently have 3 PRIs and 6 long distance T1's.

We're using TN464s and TN767s for these circuits. What they require is that we convert our LD T1s to appear as PRIs in our PBX as the Cisco router they're using to do the conversion emulates PRI only. We are going to plug our existing DS1 cards into the cisco router and they are going to emulate PRIs and convert from analog to digital in the telco closet and off to AT&T it goes.

Has anyone done this before? I need to take two of our trunk groups (for example trunk group 4 has 4 DS1s in it and trunk group 2 has 2 DS1s in it) and convert them to PRIs using D channel.

I've never dug this far down into the PBX before so I'm rusty and not sure of the commands I would need to do this.

I don't suppose anyone could post the major commands required?
rem ds1, then add ds1 (portlocation) and configure it exactly like our existing PRIs, populate the members in it - I think I've got that stuff but what about the signaling groups? Can I test this by ch tru 4, then removing the members of one of the DS1s out of trunk group 4? Will it affect service?

Ideally I'd like to have the switchover pre-programmed in the PBX before the hardware gets here to convert us over and have it all saved on a card after doing save translation. Once the hardware and cisco router are installed by AT&T I can just boot to the pre-programmed translation card and be good to go. If it bombs or something doesn't go right I can just boot back up to our original config on the normal translation card.

Here's our li config DS1...everything you see AT&T needs to become a PRI using D channel:

Location Code Vintage Signaling Name CSU MOD

01A12 TN767E 000018 robbed-bit AT&T LD 120A2
01A13 TN767E 000018 robbed-bit AT&T LD 120A2
01A14 TN767E 000018 robbed-bit AT&T LD 120A2
01A15 TN464GP HW06 FW008 robbed-bit AT&TLD 120A4
01A16 TN464GP HW06 FW008 isdn-pri ISDN-1 120A4
01B14 TN767E 000018 robbed-bit AT&T LD 120A1
01B15 TN464GP HW02 FW005 robbed-bit FAX SERVER 120A2
01B16 TN767E 000018 robbed-bit AT&T LD 120A2
01B17 TN464GP HW02 FW005 isdn-pri ISDN 2 120A3
01B18 TN464GP HW06 FW008 isdn-pri ISDN-2 120A4

Thanks

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

If you will be terminating them in the G3si as ISDN trunks, you will need to figure out the number of D channels involved. Each D channel has to terminate to the processor. This is done either through the NetPacket Bus or using Processor Interface channels, depending on your hardware/software configuration. Both have limitations. NFAS would reduce the number of D channels but I don't know if your configuration will support NFAS.

Kevin

What is your hardware platform? What is your Definity / CM software version?

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

37 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 27 years and counting

its a Definity G3Si v.11

I decided to not persue this method and make AT&T do the legwork. They are now telling me they can bring in a second router to handle just the LD trunks.

They were just trying to save the cost of having to bring another cisco router - one to emulate PRI one to emulate the LD trunks.
Nice. :

Thanks for the help guys but it's no longer needed. If someone wants to respond for archival purposes, go for it. :)

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back