Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncook12

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
GB
Can someone help me on this.
I have some raw date in a csv format that I import into Access. The raw data has a dat format of MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss
but the field can not be specified as a date.
When i import to access I have an update query that removes the extra information so that I can specifi the field as a date. Hoever even though i select the long date as the field type it still displays the date as MM/DD/YYYY. I want it as DD/MM/YYYY.

Can this be done as it is throwing all the data out wrong.
Thanks In Advance

Assuming it really is now a date field, use [green]format(Datefield,"DD/MM/YYY")[/green]

Hi,

If the field "can not be specified as a date" then it is NOT a date. It must be TEXT, correct?

If it were me, I'd create a new column for the date and convert the text to a date
[tt]
DateSerial(mid([DateStr],7, 4), left(([DateStr],1,2), mid(([DateStr],4,2))
[/tt]
:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Good point Skip, though I find I often have to validate dates from other sources because you can't always rely on the format.
If the raw date data is always a fixed format then go for Skip's suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back