Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert Backup Domain to Primary Domain in Win2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSWA

IS-IT--Management
Sep 27, 2001
PA
Hello, Is my first win2003 server installation, everything is fine. I have 2 server installed 1 is DC and Active Directory active the other server I would prepare likre Backup Domain controller for crashes(if 1st. server goes down, the user could logon without problem). I Installed the 2nd. server like a child server, the replication of the user was succesfully, but, when I Disconnect the 1st. server to test the logon, the user could not logon to the Domain(send the message, Domain server doesn't exist).

I am testing this condition for future Installation on 1 month later.

Thanks,

Marlon

First off I just wnat ot make sure that you are aware that in Win2k and Win2K3 all DCs are peers. The days of a primary and secondary are gone.

You say that you saw users get replicated on the second server, so I assume you have already run DCPROMO on that server.

If after disconnecting the other server your users were unable to log on, the problem is most likely due to problems with or nonavailability of DNS and/or DHCP. Make sure that you have full redundancy with each of these services. You can probably split your DHCP scope between the two servers and you should have DNS running on each server as well.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back