Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Convert a data file after changing table in dictionary file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZSteve

Programmer
May 31, 2012
AU
Hi All,

Using Clarion 8.0.0 9759

I Changed a table in the dictionary file, so needed to Convert the associated data file.

The Problem: The Clarion User Help “How to Convert a File ( without generating source )”,
has the following line:

3. With the modified file highlighted in the DCT Explorer, press the “ “ button to load the data file in the Database Browser.

I can’t find this button. Is it because the Help File is written for an earlier version of Clarion?

Is there a work around?

Hoping someone can be of help.

ZSteve

Hi All,

For those that might have experienced my problem with the button in my post 21/4/2014.
The button in Clarion 8 is the "Browse Table" button in the "DCT Explorer" window, in the icons section.

Regards, ZSteve

capesoft file manager is a excellent tool which makes life easier for file conversion. It is a bit expensive but it worth it.

Thanks for your help saleh1961.
Regards, ZSteve

You can always write a small procedure to do this job. Have your new table empty. Second you read the old one sequentially and you make new record equal old record. Both new and old have to be same kind. Like New_Name = Old_Name. You make an ADD and Loop until the end of Old File.

the suggestion of Annaise is ok but in this case you have to add both tables to the dictionary,the new one and the old one or define its structure in the procedure.

there is some other way is to rename the old one and export the old data using Topscan utility to a delimited file and import it to an empty new table created by the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back