Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conversion to Java from Foxpro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimwaldi

Programmer
Nov 1, 2002
GB
I will be new to Java. I have Foxpro 2.6 apps and wish to port to Java. I wish to keep the *.dbf files in place, until I choose a database such as Derby, HLSQL, H2, etc. Is this possible without losing too much speed, otherwise I will have to port the tables at the same time as the software, which would take the project much longer to do.

Thanks

You need a full redesign of the app before even the simplest rewrite in this fully ObjectOriented language is considered. If that's not an option then get a decent Clipper-like compiler like (x)Harbour and speed-up/multi-platform your current code.

HTH
TonHu

Yes, I have started to redesign the database schema and then map objects. We have VFP6, but there is no point converting to that as MS will depreciated it soon and it would be almost as big a job to convert to that as it is to use Java or C#.

Application speed is important as Fox is quick, but it's showing it's age and I can only tweek it so much.

A quick conversion is what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back