Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

conversion from WordPerfect 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpibb

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2002
US
I am a new convert to OpenOffice. I have hundreds of documents in WordPerfect format. Is there some sort of import or conversion utility that might help me? For now, I have to go into each document with WP, save it as a Word document, and then go into OpenOffice, and convert it to the native format.

Something tells me there is no such converter available, but just wanted to throw it out there for you guys.

That is one of the things that StarOffice offered over OpenOffice. Unfortunately even SO6's WP input filters are terrible and aren't complete on Win32, and nonexistant on Linux (confession from Sun).

Sorry for the bad news. Perhaps some googling will reveal a WP->x converter. Or if you have access to MS Office, convert everything to doc or rtf and import from that. It's an ugly hack, yes.

Over at openoffice.org there is a group working on WordPerfect filters.
revnomad

While your waiting for the built in conversion, you can get a utility called Conversion Plus from DataVis for less than $60 at CDW. It will convert nearly every word processor, spreadsheet, graphics and data file. It will also convert PC to Mac and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back