Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conversion from Pantone colours to Web 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJTech

Programmer
Jul 3, 2001
GB
We have a corporate colour scheme for publications which is speficied in Pantone colours. I am writing a Software Development Style Guide for Web based applications and am trying to find a conversion from Pantone to a colour chart what can be used for developing in Visual Studio .NET. Gary
Staff Officer(IT)

What are the Pantone numbers?
Post them here and I will give you the appropriate values for the nearest Web Safe colours and the RGB values and hexadecimal values if I can. Joe Bananas
An independent guide to Perth, Scotland

The colours are Pantone Warm Red and Pantone Blue 072c. Also how do you get tints of these colours in Web colouyrs i.e 20% Pantone Warm Red. Our style guides states you can use tints. Gary
Staff Officer(IT)

Warm Red from the Web Safe colour palette would be FF3333, the RGB values for that are R255 G51 B51.
Blue 072 would be 330099 (although that looks a bit dark to me), the RGB values for that are R51 G0 B153
The tints would be harder to match as the Web Safe palette is limited but 20% Warm Red would be FFCCCC
Is is debatable as whether you need to worry about sticking to the so-called web safe colours these days but the above are the values from it anyway.
If you want some text for example in &quot;Warm Red&quot; you would use <FONT COLOR=&quot;FF3333&quot;>Text goes here</FONT> Joe Bananas

Thank you that helps. I would be interested in knowing where you are getting these codes from particulary the tints so I can reference them for other colours in the future. Gary
Staff Officer(IT)

I am doing it within Corel Draw, I just draw a shape and then fill it with a Pantone spot colour then choose a different colour model (in this case the Web Safe palette) and note down the values. It should be possible to do the same in Illustrator and Freehand or others. Joe Bananas

Thank you for your help. Gary
Staff Officer(IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back