Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Conversion from Cognos to Business Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaamchor

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2003
SA
Hi ,

The client needs to convert the existing Cognos reports to Business Objects. All the reports are to be converted. So is there anything specific things I should look into before migration? Do the Cubes or the catalogs have to be considered or need to start from the scratch.

I appreciate your time.

Thanks,
Sreedhar.

There is no conversion. You'll be rebuilding everything. I know some BO folks have written a bunch of code to try to convert Cognos catalogs to BO universes. But, most of the attempts have not been kept up to date.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

IMHO converting reports is probably not even desirable at all. It would be a great opportunity for your client to honestly go through what he has got now and make a clean start.
Usually reports are created with little attention to the bigger picture resulting in lots of too similar designs. Apart from that business needs seem to change pretty quickly with personal tastes changing as well.

Undoubtable BO will offer functionality that Cognos lacks too......... :)

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your time in answering the query.Well then we need to start from the scratch.

Regards,
Sreedhar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back