Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Controlling Users via Active Directory 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnold4

Technical User
Jan 18, 2006
GB
hi

i am new to windows 2000 server as my experience is with UNIX/Linux servers.

I have a few users who don't listen and download/install things all the time and end up messing up their systems. Can i use the Active Directory to configure their accounts to not allow them to install or update any software. If so how do i do this.

Thanks in advance for your help

This is quite a large subject and if your users are local admins you will need to test that their software still works correctly as a restricted user.

Make sure that no users are members of the local admins or power users groups this will prevent users installing any software or altering system settings.

You can use 'Restricted Groups' to remove users and groups from the local admins and power users groups.

Are there settings in Group Policy Objects that can also restrict that type of access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back