Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Controlling report page length

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnongkhlaw

Programmer
Feb 22, 2002
IN
Hi folks,

I've been creating various reports from a database using ASP code, but I have 2 problems :-

1. I cannot control the page lengths in order to print neat reports for different sizes of paper like A4,A5,letter, legal etc. so that the report doesn't get cut off at the bottom of the page(s).

2. The report file path is always printed at the bottom of the page(s), something I would rather get rid of.

Would be most thankful if someone could help me resolve these issues or provide me pointers to solutions using ASP if its possible.

Mark Nongkhlaw

the first problem cannot be solved using Javascript, u have to restrict ur report size in ASP itself, u may want to use pages option of recordset.

the second problem can be solved by 2 ways:
1. Change print options (there will be a footer option there)
2. Open ur report in a popup window (that works for me, test it)...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Thanks again, vbkris. Stupid me! Yeah I found out myself by the settings in IE for problem 2.

For problem 1 however, just a thought crossed my mind- I've never used Crystal Reports for web-based reporting, but I'm just curious-Could it be used for controlling such things as Page sizes and page lengths? In addition, could the user be offered such options *before* actucally printing the page?

Mark

nope, dont use any ActiveX on the web, u might be taking a huge risk as:
1. it works only in IE.
2. If ur registeration(of the activex in the server) stuff mixes u r doomed.

personally i never use activex, but give it a try...

Known is handfull, Unknown is worldfull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back