Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tendaz

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
ZA
i have a user whose pc's freezes or even locks up when trying to open the control panel. This problem is not profile specific, so it happens to anyone who is logged on. When the control panel finally opens, it takes at least 30 seconds. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I would go to the \windows\system32 directory and just move all the .cpl files to a temporary directory and put them back one at a time to see if one of them is corrupted.

When you move them, I would move them all except one so that there is something there when you open control panel.

Try that and let us know.

Cheers!

Oh, I should have mentioned, if you do this and you find the one that is causing the problem, try getting the file from the CD again out of the \I386 directory on the CD and putting it in there again and see if you get the hang still.

Good luck!

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back