Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control Panel Window opens at Windows XP Pro Startup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
So, we're slowly moving toward replacing most or all the Windows XP machines. Lots to do in that regard. I was just made aware today (now yesterday by time I got to finish typing this) on accident about at least 2 XP machines where when Windows starts up, the Control Panel window opens on the desktop. They said it didn't always do it, but it's been doing so for a long time, and they do not remember what may have caused it.

I found this discussion mentioning bad driver installations causing it, and mentioning adding quotes around startup entries in the registry. I did find a few such instances on one example laptop, but it did not correct the issue:
thread779-395281

I won't probably get to test anything else with the laptop for the rest of this week, and possibly not until at or around Labor Day. If anyone has any other suggestions or thoughts, I'm all ears/eyes. If the user's other issues that were much more pressing seem to resurface, then it could be I'll need to wipe the whole thing anyway. It's an old XP laptop that's been in use a long time.

Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Check the startup directory. What someone may have done is to accidentally copied the shortcut to the control panel to the startup directory. Happens with users who click on something, get tired of holding and then let go - they don't know where they have released the file.

I think I did check that, and found nothing. But good thought.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

How about HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Might as well give it a shot when I get a chance. One of the users will be on vacation for a week in the fairly new future, and we had talked about my working on her computer during that week anyway. So assuming I do get to take a look at that time, I'll check that location. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back