Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

control panel icon on desktop GPO's set for custom desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

schtek

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2005
GB
Hi, i have a strange one that i wish to get rid of..

2008 stan, 2008 r2 servers both using GPO's to lock down Win7 machines each server indifferent location and in different domains, ie 2 schools.

Gpo's run fine for the xp machines, but on the Win7 machines the control panel icon appears on the desktop for some reason, it is useless as there is no access to the control panel in the setup has anyone seen this before and a solution to remove the icon??

All icons on desktop are delivered from a custom folder that i control and i don't have the control panel icon in this folder

[cannon] [worm]
"Practice makes Perfect"
("la pratique rend parfait")
CPO rt'd RN

The problem exists because you are using "force classic start menu" enabled in GPO for your XP clients.

Seperate your machines in seperate OU's and have seperate GPO's for Win7 and WinXP or turn this off. The CP icon should go away.

thank you will try this and get back to you!!!

[cannon] [worm]
"Practice makes Perfect"
("la pratique rend parfait")
CPO rt'd RN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back