Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control of a Phone Switch US or THEM??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoneman2

MIS
May 7, 1999
US
How many of you have had your call centers managers say they want to control more of want goes on in the switch??

We here are having this little issue right now.

So, just so It doesn't seem that I'm unwilling to share my toys.

Just how much do you give to the Call Center?? Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

I think that it is important that we dont have to many hands in the cookie jar but it is nice to have other input in situations. Sometimes that is how we learn about a new function in the switch is by others asking questions. I hope this helps.

Anytime you divide people into US and THEM, you're anticipating (some) conflict, especially when you work for the same organization and should have the same goals.

What are THEY wanting control of? Do they want to do the programming themselves, or just the deciding voice in the design? Most situations that I come across are resolved on a case-by-case basis.

For example - some individuals wanted to be able to forward their calls off-net. I explained why I wouldn't allow this (toll-fraud) and then set up remote coverage paths for them. Bottom line - my system remained secure, and the user got the functionality that they wanted, just not in the way that they thought they would. On other issues, (ie; call routing) I'll put in my 2 cents, but they have to manage the incoming calls. I'll put in their changes, and if it doesn't work for them, then it's changed back.

Can you give us some examples of what THEY want control over?

Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

The call center would like to change announcments. Not just what is said, but what announcment is play on the fly. They would also would like to change call routing. Meaning changing vectors, which would give them access to the whole switch. We now have 3 of us to help them. Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

Our call center constantly is changing annoucements and occasionally prompts. Usually at 4:55pm Friday :)
Our announcements are (for now) still handled by Audix system so they are pre-recorded and prompts don't change but they can activate different greetings depending on issues such as inclement weather affecting staffing, etc.
Not really same issue since you have to change vectors.

eek! I never change a live vector; I write a new vector and then use ASA to point the VDN(s) the the new vector, usually in the middle of the night. Too many things can go wrong by changing live programs on the fly. Unless it's a certified drop-dead emergency, I wouldn't touch it.

Could they accomplish their call-routing changes if you had the vectors written ahead of time, and then gave them the ability to change the agent's skill(s) in CMS Supervisor?
This might give them the flexiablity they want and the control you need.

Don't know what to do about the announcements, unless you gave them console permissions and let them continuesly re-record the same announcement number with different messages. Can you have your manager talk with their manager and explain why constant changes on the fly are not a good thing?

Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

I agree that I don't like to push changes on the fly unless it is an emergency. Too many chances to cause your call center to go down for unspecified amount of time while you track down the error. Even harder if you are not in control of the changes.

Thank You

I am very willing to help them make any change they would like. If infact it is something the switch can do. We just keep hearing the same thing over and over "well at my last job I could make the changes" I would like to ask them, why are you working were then??
I think that most of the time they are bored and would like to work in telecom or IT. Wisdom is Knowledge
that is Shared

Thanks All Phoneman2

If your customers are using CMS as a monitoring tool they can also change vectors. Through the 'User Permissions' you can limit which vectors they have access to.

Kevin

Do not go there if you can, unless they make you.
And even then give the rights away slowly, until they have full understanding of the impact of what they are doing.
CMS is the best way to change vectoring without giving
definity permissions.
I let them review a lot, change little, so they can prepare requests to me, and know the funtionality.
If they need switch permission, page 2, and 3 of the permissions page let you take away rights you don't want them to have on their login.
I would let them change only on separate vectors,
and then let them change the pointer VDN's to change the flow, do not have them change live situations.
This can have serious impact on your call-stat logic however.

Hope this helps,

Rob

I have been on both sides of the spectrum in a call center - both as account manager (what was I thinking) and as MIS. The call center manager is a integral part of planning call flow etc. and usually has the last say in call flow. (In my case they pretty much listen to my suggestions) But the bottom line is they do not do any changes on the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back