Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control most recent entry on subform from form

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartoki

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2003
US
I'm not even sure how to structure this.

I have a main form Forms![User Master] which references Tables!Employees. In this form is a the subform object subformPromotions which in linked to Forms![Promotions subform] which references Tables!Promotions.

The relationship from employees to promotions is one to many. Forms![Promotions subform] lists each promotion by employee.

I would like to have text boxes on Forms![User Master] that can change each field in Tables!Promotions for the MOST RECENT entry. So, for example, a text box named textCurrentPromoDate that would control the date for the most recent entry for that employee in Tables!Promotions.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!!!!!

It seems you should want to use Forms![Promotions subform] to make the changes since it is the form based on the table. You are saying you want a field on the main form to make changes to the table that is under the subform. That does not make sense.

Ah, right...I should have said why I didn't want to do that.

Well, although I think the interface for controlling records in Access is simple to understand, my users will probably not think so. These users would much rather just enter in a value in a box, rather than arrow through records or enter data in the asterik marked row. To them, these things mean nothing. So it's my responsibility to create an interface that is easier for them, the user.

But, I realize that I'm trying to circle around something in a different way that is already done more immediately in another way, so it may be quite cumbersome to create a different way of entering in data. Inevitably I guess I should do an effort/benefit analysis for this feature.

Thanks.

Again, you are wanting to do something on the main form that could be accomplished on the subform. You can set up the subform so there is just one field or however many fields you want and make it look like it is on the main form to do what you want. Either you still are not explaining correctly what you are trying to do or you don't quite have the understanding of how the main form/sub form works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back